Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box
john lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:17:29 +0000
> Jack Knight <jack.knight@???> wrote:
>

>> john lewis wrote:

>>> some time ago I installed VirtualBox on my spare sytem and
>>> created an XP vdi.
>>>
>>> I then decided I'd like to run that on my main system so installed
>>> VirtualBox again on this sytem and having saved the XPPro.vdi to
>>> an external harddrive I copied it into ~/me/.VirtualBox/VDI.
>>>
>>> I can start up VirtualBox and it tells me that XPPro is powered
>>> off. If I then try to run it I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Failed to start the virtual machine XPPro
>>>
>>> The VirtualBox support driver which is running is from a different
>>> version of VirtualBox. You can correct this by stopping all
>>> running instances of VirtualBox and reinstalling the software..
>>>
>>> VBox status code: -11 (VERR_VERSION_MISMATCH).
>>>
>>> Does this mean that I will need to re-install XPPro?
>>>

>> Did you add your user account to the vboxusers group ?
>>

> yup, several weeks ago and have logged in afresh several times
> since.
>
> I am wondering if a recent kernel update may have messed things up.
> I am going to purge virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-source and then
> re-install them

Hmm.

I think it more likely you need to rebuild the Vbox kernel modules.
There is help on the VBox wiki as well as elsewhere. For the purposes
of trying things out though, I'd be inclined to use the binary install -
if in doubt email them about t&c's - they are very anti-draconian. I did
just that and asked about a couple of commercial licenses for the
(albeit unspecified) purpose of writing an article, and the prompt reply
was that it fell in the category of "personal use" even though I had
enquired in the capacity of a company officer about commercial usage.

jfk