Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5797f100.hantslug.org.uk.17433': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 11 18:00:51 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 11 Nov 2007, Jack Knight wrote:
> john lewis wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering if a recent kernel update may have messed things up.
> > I am going to purge virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-source and then
> > re-install them
>
> Hmm.
>
> I think it more likely you need to rebuild the Vbox kernel modules.
> There is help on the VBox wiki as well as elsewhere. For the purposes
> of trying things out though, I'd be inclined to use the binary install -
> if in doubt email them about t&c's - they are very anti-draconian. I did
> just that and asked about a couple of commercial licenses for the
> (albeit unspecified) purpose of writing an article, and the prompt reply
> was that it fell in the category of "personal use" even though I had
> enquired in the capacity of a company officer about commercial usage.

Changing kernel will break it for sure. Rebuilding the kernel module under
Debian is a 20 seconds job.

sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i virtualbox-ose
sudo modprobe vboxdrv

And you are done

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Windows has detected: "unknown device", and is installing drivers for it.
    -- Microsoft Windows