[Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network
I've just installed Windows ME into a fresh qemu disk. (It certainly
shows installing Windows is no easy matter!)

After a lot of waiting and restarting I now have the desktop but no
network connection. I'm sure last time I did this it 'just worked'.

When I look in the network properties and the device manager they both
agree there's no NIC installed, just a modem, but the qemu docs say
it should present an NE2000 nic. I tried 'Add new hardware' which
didn't detect anything so I added an NE2000 manually but a restart
just said it wasn't working.

In case it's relevant the device manager also says the plug and play
BIOS has a problem (the little exclamation mark icon, details say
error code 24).

What have I missed?

TIA, Peter