Re: [Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d95100.hantslug.org.uk.20778': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 12 11:25:18 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 10:08:39AM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> I've just installed Windows ME into a fresh qemu disk. (It certainly
> shows installing Windows is no easy matter!)
>
> After a lot of waiting and restarting I now have the desktop but no
> network connection. I'm sure last time I did this it 'just worked'.
>
> When I look in the network properties and the device manager they both
> agree there's no NIC installed, just a modem, but the qemu docs say
> it should present an NE2000 nic. I tried 'Add new hardware' which
> didn't detect anything so I added an NE2000 manually but a restart
> just said it wasn't working.
>
> In case it's relevant the device manager also says the plug and play
> BIOS has a problem (the little exclamation mark icon, details say
> error code 24).
>
> What have I missed?

Well, your first problem is trying to use Windows ME... ;)

That aside, you will probably have to start qemu with networking
options. You need two -net options: one for the "VM" end of the
network connection, and one for the "host" end. Think of it as a
virtual piece of cat5 cable.

The first option should simply be "-net nic", and puts a network
interface card in the VM.

The second option should be "-net user", and handles networking
through the normal network interface. This looks to the VM like a form
of NAT.

There's all sorts of other options and tricks you can use, if you
want fully-routed or bridged networks, or virtual networks (or other
exotica, like running the network through a local socket). However,
the above should be all that's necessary for a simple setup.

Hugo.

   --- Well, you don't get to be a kernel hacker simply by looking ---
                    good in Speedos. -- Rusty Russell