Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:01:33 -0000 (GMT)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> > *it won't just reboot, I have to leave it for ten minutes or so
> > before it will boot up so something is overheating I guess.
> >
> > I'd left it on overnight without it dying but when I tried
> > accessing a samba shared drive from within virtual XP it died.
>
> How old is the machine?
>
> I've found a number of boxes recently of about 3-4 year vintage with
> similar problems. The thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler
> dries up and stops being thermal paste...
>
> The solution is to clean it off (with acetone or similar) and
> re-grease. Maplins do a little syringe of the stuff for about £2
> IIRC - cheaper than computer shops :-)

I'd guess it is around that age, I'll give your suggestion a trial. I
don't think we have a Maplins locally so will have to use local
computer shop.

Thanks for the tip

In the meantime I am reinstalling debian on the spare box. It had
etch on it and I need some stuff only in sid. I did a full-upgrade
after editing /etc/apt/sources.list but found after I rebooted that
the lvm volumes weren't found so the next install will not use lvm

I thought that the debian etch installer would allow setting up a
raid system but the Mar 2007 iso I am using doesn't give that option
so will have to see if I can create a raid system with the two disks
I have in the box later.

computing is fun isn't it :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package