Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Box
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:36:12 +0000
"James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> On 12/11/2007, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:21:17 -0500 (EST)
> > Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure you should be thanking people for that John....
> > >
> > > :)
> >
> > mebbe not but if I am to persuade my wife to give up her w2k box
> > and move over to linux/kde I need to be able to run a certain
> > piece of windows software.
> >
> > And that is the dratted Resource File Viewer the LDS provide for
> > viewing their Data CDs which, unlike other genealogy data CDs
> > which give you pdf files, are in a proprietary format.
> >
> > I can install the Viewer application from CD but once it is
> > running it cannot see the CD drive so I cannot "register" the
> > data CDs with the app.
> >

> Have you tried wine? wine can access CDs correctly. There are two
> ways of configuring CDs in wine, one is more compatible than the
> other. If RFV does not run correctly, you might just need a
> few .dll overrides.
>
> wine is also quicker than virtualbox.

The 'Resource File Viewer' won't install under wine so that is a
non-starter.

This has been an ongoing problem for years and it is only with things
like VirtualBox that a solution seems possible.

We need the 'Viewer' to be able to use the Mormon data CDs but it
will only install on a 'proper' M$ OS and up until now this has
meant keeping one windows box available.

No one has been able to find a way of using the data on the CDs using
Linux due to the proprietary format the Mormons chose.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package