Re: [Hampshire] samba permissions

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] samba permissions
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:01:02 -0000, rmn@??? said:

> I started by creating a new share of /home for only Brian

You don't need to create individual shares for each user's home
directory. Having a [homes] share will automagically create the home share
for you - see smb.conf(5), fairly near the beginning.

To give him r/w access to all users' home directories (one wonders /why/
he feels he needs that, but anyway...), I'd set up a share that he can
write to that points to /home (assuming all your users' home directories
reside under /home). You may well run into issues with files brian creates
in /home/notbrian that are owned by brian and cannot be deleted by
notbrian. This can be overcome with the correct "create mask" (and
similar) settings, but then you start to compromise security to some
extent.

hth.
Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

Tiger Computing is looking for a Linux Support Consultant - see
http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk/page?27