RE: [Hampshire] samba permissions

Author: Noble R.M.
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] samba permissions

> You don't need to create individual shares for each user's home
> directory. Having a [homes] share will automagically create the home

share
> for you - see smb.conf(5), fairly near the beginning.

The [homes] section is set up like that anyway.

> To give him r/w access to all users' home directories (one wonders

/why/
> he feels he needs that, but anyway...), I'd set up a share that he can
> write to that points to /home (assuming all your users' home

directories
> reside under /home). You may well run into issues with files brian

creates
> in /home/notbrian that are owned by brian and cannot be deleted by
> notbrian. This can be overcome with the correct "create mask" (and
> similar) settings, but then you start to compromise security to some
> extent.

The reason we do this is because occasionally brian likes to send us
files and its easier for him drop them in the home folder of the
appropriate user than to email/usb them etc.

Would the correct chmask be 0755? (I don't have a complete understanding
of file permissions yet)

thanks

Rob