Re: [Hampshire] samba permissions

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] samba permissions
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:13:48 -0000, rmn@??? said:

> Would the correct chmask be 0755? (I don't have a complete understanding
> of file permissions yet)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'chmask'. If it were me, I'd probably set up
the 'create mask' in smb.conf for the home directories to be 077x (x
according to whether users are allowed to look at each other's home
directories). I'd ensure that each user is an individual group (ie,
username and principal group name are the same). I'd set the Linux
directory permissions for users' home directories to be 277x. That means
that any file created in their home directory will have the group of the
owner (rather than creator), and should thus be editable by them.

However, I'd probably actually persuade Brian to do things a different way.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

Tiger Computing is looking for a Linux Support Consultant - see
http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk/page?27