Re: [Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] qemu with Windows ME no network
On Monday 12 Nov 2007, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Monday 12 Nov 2007, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 10:08:39AM +0000, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> > > I've just installed Windows ME into a fresh qemu disk. (It
> > > certainly shows installing Windows is no easy matter!)
> > >
> > > After a lot of waiting and restarting I now have the desktop but
> > > no network connection. I'm sure last time I did this it 'just
> > > worked'.
>
> 8<
>
> >    That aside, you will probably have to start qemu with networking
> > options. You need two -net options: one for the "VM" end of the
> > network connection, and one for the "host" end. Think of it as a
> > virtual piece of cat5 cable.

> >    The first option should simply be "-net nic", and puts a network
> > interface card in the VM.

> >    The second option should be "-net user", and handles networking
> > through the normal network interface. This looks to the VM like a
> > form of NAT.

> >    There's all sorts of other options and tricks you can use, if
> > you want fully-routed or bridged networks, or virtual networks (or
> > other exotica, like running the network through a local socket).
> > However, the above should be all that's necessary for a simple
> > setup.

> >    Hugo.

> Thanks Hugo, I've just tried that but still there's only the dialup
> network adapter available. I tried 'search for new hardware' and it
> found nothing new. Also the qemu docs seem to imply that -net nic is
> the default anyway.
>
> I'd just shrug and leave it but I'm sure I've had this working before
> (and without any special switches). Humph!
>
> I know Windows ME isn't great but that's the last one I bought before
> seeing the light so not much choice I'm afraid.

I found the default virtual network card from qemu didn't work with Win98 but
did with Win2K, so for Win98 I used the alternate network setting. try:

-net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net user

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"We must get users past their misunderstandings of uptime. A reboot
doesn't mean that anything broke, there is no hardware or software
corrective action taken, so there wasn't any real downtime."
-- overheard in an MS strategy meeting