Re: [Hampshire] Impressed with gOS - simplicity itself, for …

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Impressed with gOS - simplicity itself, for the right people
alan c wrote:
> I have just used a gOS live CD, and am very impressed indeed. It is no
> wonder that walmart have sold out of their everex PCs so quickly.
>
> It is certainly not going to attract experienced users, or more
> ambitious users who want a PC as an IT tool, but it will certainly
> attract users who want to use a PC for basic things, including
> inexperienced users and those who just want an 'appliance'
>
> It is also unlikely that people will buy many with the intention of
> installing windows. If they see gOS working, it will beat windows from
> 30 paces distance. If I had elderly parents, this is what I would be
> thinking of offering. Have a look for yourself, this is history in the
> making.

I quite fancied one of the gOS dev boards [1] that are available for
$60. Basically a low-power VIA micro-ATX board that looks like it would
make a nice little home server, but currently only on sale in the US I
think, add postage and VAT and suddenly they are less attractive.

Speaking of simplicity, the Eee PC [2] is attracting a lot of attention
right and I may get one for a present/incentive for each of my twins if
they do well in the GCSE exams next year - they'd be great for college I
think. Might get one as a present for myself too - I need to find a bank
to rob first though as I would also like to purchase a Canon G9 camera
to replace my aging G3 and rekindle my interest in making pictures.

Anyway, I have just returned from a friend's house having converted him
over to Linux by putting together a PC from cast-offs and replacing his
first-generation AMD64 XP machine with a newer one running Ubuntu. He is
thrilled to bits with the usability and performance, his kids have taken
to it instantly and XP only gets a look in for the odd gaming session
these days. I am now eyeing up the old PC with a view to rebuilding that
with Ubuntu too, so his kids have a box of their own.

I booted Caroline's (my wife's) laptop with the Gutsy live CD yesterday,
and the fact that I am here to tell the tale might indicate that XP is
ripe for replacement there too, as in the past the mere mention of Linux
in the same breath as her laptop has been akin to poking a honey badger
with a stick while wearing a puff adder costume (ill advised for those
not familiar with the temperament and dining habits and of honey badgers
[3]).

Linux World domination, one machine at a time!

Sean

[1] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5305482907.html
[2]
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1