Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box
> I found the problem, the processor fan had died and the heat sink was
> too hot to touch when I opened up the case. Got a replacement
> heatsink/fan combo for a tenner but it now looks as though the
> processor got cooked and the PC won't boot anymore.

OK, you might be right about the CPU being cooked - but IME they *usually*
(but not always) shut down before permanent damage occurs.

So before you go replacing chips, check your fan wiring very carefully. If
the MoBo doesn't see a fan behaving as it should on the right fan port,
it'll often refuse to boot. So make sure you've plugged the cooler into
the correct fan connector, and make sure you've got a good connection. You
might have to dibble the molex connector a bit to get it working...

> If anyone has such a beastie I'll be interested and would suggest
> that the next LUG meeting at Soton would be a good place to do a deal.

I've got a 1200MHz Duron *somewhere*. I'll try to find it - but keep
looking elsewhere, because Durons are not good chips, and it might never
surface from my junk pile anyawy :-)

Vic.