Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:24:59 -0000 (GMT)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> > I found the problem, the processor fan had died and the heat sink
> > was too hot to touch when I opened up the case. Got a replacement
> > heatsink/fan combo for a tenner but it now looks as though the
> > processor got cooked and the PC won't boot anymore.
>
> OK, you might be right about the CPU being cooked - but IME they
> *usually* (but not always) shut down before permanent damage occurs.
>
> So before you go replacing chips, check your fan wiring very
> carefully. If the MoBo doesn't see a fan behaving as it should on
> the right fan port, it'll often refuse to boot. So make sure you've
> plugged the cooler into the correct fan connector, and make sure
> you've got a good connection. You might have to dibble the molex
> connector a bit to get it working...

I plugged the fan connector onto the same connector as the old one
came off :-)

The processor fan rotates when I switch the system on, as do the case
fans and the one on the video card. So far as I can tell the hard
disk 'fires up' and keyboard LEDs and CD drive lights flash as usual.

But I get a 'no output' message from the screen and it then goes into
sleep mode.

> > If anyone has such a beastie I'll be interested and would suggest
> > that the next LUG meeting at Soton would be a good place to do a
> > deal.
>
> I've got a 1200MHz Duron *somewhere*. I'll try to find it - but keep
> looking elsewhere, because Durons are not good chips, and it might
> never surface from my junk pile anyawy :-)

a 1200 Duron is what is in the 'slow' system I am currently using so
something with a bit more beefiness would be better anyway.

I don't know what the local shop that sells AMD stuff would have. I
don't think they have a 'used processor' bin but I haven't
actually asked as it isn't the shop I normally use for computer bits
(and they don't do AMD unfortunately).

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package