Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] was Virtual Box
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:01:33 -0000 (GMT)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> > *it won't just reboot, I have to leave it for ten minutes or so
> > before it will boot up so something is overheating I guess.
> >
> > I'd left it on overnight without it dying but when I tried
> > accessing a samba shared drive from within virtual XP it died.
>
> How old is the machine?
>
> I've found a number of boxes recently of about 3-4 year vintage with
> similar problems. The thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler
> dries up and stops being thermal paste...
>
> The solution is to clean it off (with acetone or similar) and
> re-grease. Maplins do a little syringe of the stuff for about £2
> IIRC - cheaper than computer shops :-)

I found the problem, the processor fan had died and the heat sink was
too hot to touch when I opened up the case. Got a replacement
heatsink/fan combo for a tenner but it now looks as though the
processor got cooked and the PC won't boot anymore.

So it looks like I am 'in the market' for a replacement processor.

It was an AMD Duron or Athlon but cannot remember the speed. The m/b
manual says is provides a socket A (462) for Athlone 'XP 3000+ or
higher processors with quantispeed data processing blah blah &
400/333/266 Mhz bus speeds. Do not use processors with a core speed
less than 1GHz.

If anyone has such a beastie I'll be interested and would suggest
that the next LUG meeting at Soton would be a good place to do a deal.
I could then try it out in the m/b to confirm my diagnosis of the
problem is correct.

I swapped the hard disk into my 'spare' system to keep me going but
the processor in that box is somewhat slower than the one that
died and feels it :-(

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package