Re: [Hampshire] Asus Eee PC video review

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Asus Eee PC video review

Noble R.M. wrote:
>> Saw this today and thought people might be interested in it.
>>
>> http://www.unwiredshow.tv/2007/10/31/14-asus-eee-pc/
>>
>> He reviews the Eee PC (200 quid Linux Based PC) and seems to quite like
>> it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>
> Wow, that guy is "super" irritating. Good review though and always

good to see linux making inroads in the non-tux media.

> Does anyone know anymore about gOS though and who's actually behind

it? I'm guessing Asus didn't develop it themselves. I tried a livecd the
other day and thought it was brilliantly simple, though lacking on
features for a main desktop.....great for mini-laptops though,
especially at £200.

> I want one.

the Asus 701 doesn't run gOS. gOS is a Debian (Ubuntu?) derived OS with
Enlightenment DR17 desktop manager that runs on the $199 USD Everex gPC
that is being sold by Walmart in the USA.

The 701 runs a modified version of Xandros. In "Easy" mode it uses a
tabbed interface, but by loading two packages you can get a "full" KDE
desktop.

The cheapest I've seen them is £219.98 GBP but most retailers are sold
out at present. The going rate on eBay is between 265 and 275!