Re: [Hampshire] Benefits of top-posting?

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Benefits of top-posting?
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:38:48 +0000, adam.trickett@??? said:

> I can see your point, but more than once someone has asked me to do do
> something, and because the original request came half way doen a
> top-posted ping-pong, that at some point got CCed to me I missed the
> request.

I had something similar recently. A customer forwarded me a mail asking to
carry out the request "as detailed below". The entire mail, with multiple
disclaimers, etc, came to 985 lines. It took a few minutes to a) find the
request and b) be certain that that /was/ the request.

To be fair, this is an extreme case, but it illustrates that there is a
cost (people's time) in not trimming mails appropriately. It also
illustrates an acceptable (to my mind) use of top-posting: that of a
request followed by "see the mail below".

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

Tiger Computing is looking for a Linux Support Consultant - see
http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk/page?27