Re: [Hampshire] Benefits of top-posting?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Benefits of top-posting?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x567ed100.hantslug.org.uk.2593': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 23 16:03:32 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:22:00AM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 11:08:25AM +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > * It's lazy/easy because it's the default behaviour of Lookout.
>
> It's not lazy, it's just the default so people use it. Many people in
> business have no clue what "top posting" or "bottom posting" means. They're
> not being lazy by not trimming, they're just doing what is the accepted norm
> as you say.

I think it is lazy. A properly interleaved reply looks better and
reads better, but writing one takes more care and attention than
bashing out a quick top-posted response. Most of the top-posted
emails I see at work would have been better carried out as an IM
conversation.

When I'm at dayjob, I use outlook, and I top-post to people I KNOW
are going to top-post back, because if I don't then the mixture is
actually less readable than either method alone, and they will
complain about it.

They dont like being forced to take the extra care required and
since no one else does they don't see the point. So I give up; I
have better things to do with my employer's time and my employer
would agree.

On my own time, however, I write email properly and it's almost
always signed.

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

Caution: signature may confuse or lack humour; not
comittee-approved; made on a line handling nuts