Re: [Hampshire] smbfs

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] smbfs
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:51:59 +0000
Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> On Sat November 24 2007 09:09, john lewis wrote:
> > I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone on this list but I
> > think someone mentioned problems with an upgrade to samba a few
> > days back
> > --
> > John Lewis
> > Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package
>
> It was me, the problems were in the *buntu repo's (which mepis
> use's for it v6 series) but this has now been resolved
>
> The post where I mentioned it was on the 16-11-07

I don't keep many emails (other than genealogy related ones) on my box
so couldn't find who had posted without looking at the LUG archives.

I posted the item in case it helped someone/anyone. Personally I had
no idea what cifs was or even that it existed.

I do have samba running and can access my linux box from my wife's
w2k system as a result. I may even be able to use the printer
attached to the w2k system via samba but on the rare occasions I need
to print a document I put it in a 'shared folder' and print it from
windows.

My wife uses the printer most so I have no need to get too involved
in getting it to work from linux - it probably does but apps like
OpenOffice don't seem to know 'outta the box'

I don't write stuff in OO but mainly use it to read MS doc stuff I
get sent so no urgent need to get printing working.