Re: [Hampshire] smbfs

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] smbfs
On Sat November 24 2007 10:28, john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:51:59 +0000
>
> Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> > On Sat November 24 2007 09:09, john lewis wrote:
> > > I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone on this list but I
> > > think someone mentioned problems with an upgrade to samba a few
> > > days back
> > > --
> > > John Lewis
> > > Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package
> >
> > It was me, the problems were in the *buntu repo's (which mepis
> > use's for it v6 series) but this has now been resolved
> >
> > The post where I mentioned it was on the 16-11-07
>
> I don't keep many emails (other than genealogy related ones) on my box
> so couldn't find who had posted without looking at the LUG archives.
>
> I posted the item in case it helped someone/anyone. Personally I had
> no idea what cifs was or even that it existed.
>
> I do have samba running and can access my linux box from my wife's
> w2k system as a result. I may even be able to use the printer
> attached to the w2k system via samba but on the rare occasions I need
> to print a document I put it in a 'shared folder' and print it from
> windows.
>
> My wife uses the printer most so I have no need to get too involved
> in getting it to work from linux - it probably does but apps like
> OpenOffice don't seem to know 'outta the box'
>
> I don't write stuff in OO but mainly use it to read MS doc stuff I
> get sent so no urgent need to get printing working.
>
> --
> John Lewis
> Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package

I have samba (well obviously as I had problem with it) but it only sort of
works. I have some wiered permission problems where writing to the shares
does not work from for some users and only from certain boxes. I have put of
sorting it out because a) when I normally do I break it which annoys the wife
as she cannot access out pictures or mp3 and b) I have been waiting for Mepis
V7 to be released (currently V7 RC1).

Having been looking for a printer to use at home for work (I work from home
several days a week) and having a networked printer at work that failed to be
compatible with Windows Terminal Server system (despite what the supplier had
told me who then refused to take it back because it had been opened!!), I now
have a HP colour laser sat on my network which prints via cups quite nicely
although the linux colour side of thing is not particularly good.

I use OOo but mainly for private use and use various version of Word and Excel
for work.

Tim