Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The greatest laptop ever made? (The SUN)
* Sean Gibbins (sean@???) wrote:
> Steve Kirk wrote:
> > I would have to agree - my understanding is that the Vista
> > installation requires
> > 15GB to install (with a recommended minimum 40GB drive) and then the
> > licence you have dictates what 'features' (aero etc.) are available.
>
> Slight tangent: I was looking at a Windows-only game the other day and
> the hardware pre-reqs are different for XP and Vista. XP wants a 2GHZ
> CPU + 1GB RAM, Vista wants 3GHZ + 1.5GB RAM, IIRC.

That is what is called Progress :-)

Some time ago, I was given an old 486 to use as a firewall. Before I
wiped the hard disk, I let it boot up. I was amazed how quick it
was. Even Word started really fast.

I know that there are good reasons for some of the bloat in modern
operating systems and applications, but I do wonder if the speed
increase of the hardware is being lost to increasingly inefficient
code.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk