[Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk

Author: hantslug
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] TalkTalk
I have a problem with a client's new TalkTalk connection. Tests seem to me to
make it quite clear that the problem is the DNS look up. I.e., I can get on
the net by IP (Amazon, Google) either in a browser or when pinging from the
command line, but not by address, again either by browser or when pinging. I
have tried both from their set-up disk and from entering the DNS IPs
manually.

The diagnosis of the _second_ layer of IT support on the TalkTalk helpline is
that it is definitely trhe browser that she is using (Firefox on XP), but he
hung up when I showed a certain amount of impatience. (I fail to see how the
browser she uses can affect pinging from the command line - nor, indeed, the
CD thay supply which also fails to connect by address, and complains about
it.)

So far, I have spent two mornings on this and my client wants me to go back on
Monday morning.

Unless I can manage to get through to the third or fourth layer of TalkTalk
support (i.e. to someone who knows what ping and the command line are, and is
not just reading from a computer screen).    I can think of no way to resolve
this (apart, of course, from ditching TalkTalk and getting a better
ISP. ;-)  ) other perhaps than trying public DNSs, which I have not yet tried
because I had no access to the internet when I was there so could not look up
any public DNS IPs.

Can anyone reccommend a particular public DNS over any other? Has anyone any
other advice to offer?

TIA
Lisi