[Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions
I have a network attached storage unit - a case from Maplin and a
spare drive I had. It has a smb server and an ftp server, and they
seem to work, at least, basically. (Mobile Landisk). It is intended to
use fat32 format and can use its own internal facility for formatting.

I would like to aim at using it on my network maybe for backup with a
facilty such as rdiff-backup (I think it is based on rsync) for
example. I am not sure if the device is it is a perfect implementation
of an smb server.

It has a dhcp server, which is disabled now I am using it with fixed
IP on the wired LAN.
It seems to work ok for browser based things. The control interface is
http:// and the user interface is smb:// for copy paste and such.
ftp works I used filezilla.

It has a Host Name, a Group Name, and a couple of folders in the
Sharing List. I am not initially using passwords if i can avoid it so
in smb.conf I have kept 'security = share' as commented out still. I
think it worked with it enabled, but the authentication was an extra
complication for my newbie state...

I am using kubuntu and or ubuntu, with 7.04 and 7.10 available.
Hoping to communicate with it via a terminal or similar - I see from
examples that rdiff-backup may be used (which I use in local ways) as
follows:
rdiff-backup /some/local-dir hostname.net::/whatever/remote-dir

This construction did not work for me. One obvious problem is that the
(my) hostname does not have .net on the end, and I am working in a
home LAN, if that makes any difference. And I get success only when
using its IP address for anything, maybe the hostname is not being
resolved where it should be (?)

I have had a brief initial look at smbclient and smbmount, and have
even reached a point of getting a '>' response, but cannot get
sensibly any further, or see how I could use them with, say,
rdiff-backup for example.

General thoughts, and detail suggestions would be much appreciated!
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391