Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions
* alan c (aeclist@???) wrote:
> I have a network attached storage unit - a case from Maplin and a
> spare drive I had. It has a smb server and an ftp server, and they
> seem to work, at least, basically. (Mobile Landisk). It is intended to
> use fat32 format and can use its own internal facility for formatting.
>
> I would like to aim at using it on my network maybe for backup with a
> facilty such as rdiff-backup (I think it is based on rsync) for
> example. I am not sure if the device is it is a perfect implementation
> of an smb server.

OK. Have you read the man page for rsync? If the backup program that
you are going to use is based on it, it would help.

I think I am correct that if you want to rsync to another machine,
then that machine should have sshd running and rsync installed. I
doubt that your box will have that.

What I think you need to do is mount the drive using samba, as you
are, and then use rsync or whatever as if you are copying between
two locations on the same host.

$ rsync /home /mnt/backup

Does that make sense?

--