Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?
On Saturday 01 December 2007 12:57, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 12:27:18AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 November 2007 23:17, Hugo Mills wrote:
>
> [snipped]

> > >    Right. The problem is in the postrm script. Looking at that, it
> > > runs "mime-update". What happens if you run "mime-update" on its own
> > > as root?

> [snip]
>
> > >    Absolutely. You misunderstood that I intended you to run
> > > "update-mime", instead of "mime-update". :)

> > Tux:/home/lisi# update-mime
> > Error: contents of '/etc/mailcap.new' do not match what was written --
> > abort Tux:/home/lisi# cd /etc
> > Tux:/etc# rm mailcap.new
>
>    Not sure why this is happening -- all I can think of is that
> there's something bad in the directory it updates the mime types from.
> Probably the easiest (ugly, hacky) solution is to comment out the
> invocation of update-mime from
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/acroread-debian-files.postrm and then run (I think)
> "aptitude install -f" and see what it does.

At least the error message has changed (see below) - although nothing appears
actually to have been fixed. :-(

Do I just run it aptitude -f install again? Apart from commenting out the
mime line, I don't seem to have achieved anything. :-(

It rather looks as though there is quite a lot broken. This is not a problem
I have had with previous installs, which is why I thought that something must
be faulty.

Lisi

Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
opera opera-static
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
acroread-debian-files acroread-escript libmyspell3c2 libxp6
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
iceweasel iceweasel-gnome-support iceweasel-l10n-en-gb mozilla-acroread
cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common kamera kcoloredit kdegraphics
kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdvi kfax kfaxview kgamma kghostview kiconedit
kmrml kolourpaint kooka kpdf kpovmodeler kruler
ksnapshot ksvg kuickshow kview kviewshell libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libkscan1
libpcre3 libperl5.8 libsmbclient perl perl-base perl-modules perl-suid
realplayer
ntp rsync
The following packages will be REMOVED:
acroread{p} iceweasel iceweasel-gnome-support iceweasel-l10n-en-gb
mozilla-acroread
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 9 to remove and 36 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 99.0MB will be freed.
opera: Conflicts: opera-static but 9.24-20071015.1 is installed.
opera-static: Conflicts: opera but 9.24-20071015.6 is to be installed.
Resolving dependencies...
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the realplayer package. This might mean
you need to manually fix this package.

Keep the following packages at their current version:
opera [Not Installed]

Score is -1

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
acroread-debian-files acroread-escript libmyspell3c2 libxp6
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
iceweasel iceweasel-gnome-support iceweasel-l10n-en-gb mozilla-acroread
cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common kamera kcoloredit kdegraphics
kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdvi kfax kfaxview kgamma kghostview kiconedit
kmrml kolourpaint kooka kpdf kpovmodeler kruler
ksnapshot ksvg kuickshow kview kviewshell libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libkscan1
libpcre3 libperl5.8 libsmbclient perl perl-base perl-modules perl-suid
realplayer
ntp rsync
The following packages will be REMOVED:
acroread{p} iceweasel iceweasel-gnome-support iceweasel-l10n-en-gb
mozilla-acroread
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 9 to remove and 36 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 112MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Error!
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the realplayer package. This might mean
you need to manually fix this package.
E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
Tux:/home/lisi#