Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problem…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is a faulty download to blame for my problems?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57fce100.hantslug.org.uk.4321': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Dec 2 22:36:31 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 06:28:12PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 12:57, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    Not sure why this is happening -- all I can think of is that
> > there's something bad in the directory it updates the mime types from.
> > Probably the easiest (ugly, hacky) solution is to comment out the
> > invocation of update-mime from
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/acroread-debian-files.postrm and then run (I think)
> > "aptitude install -f" and see what it does.

> At least the error message has changed (see below) - although
> nothing appears actually to have been fixed. :-(

Different error messages are usually good. It's often a sign that
something's been fixed, and is now showing you the next error. :)

> Do I just run it aptitude -f install again? Apart from commenting
> out the mime line, I don't seem to have achieved anything. :-(

> It rather looks as though there is quite a lot broken. This is not
> a problem I have had with previous installs, which is why I thought
> that something must be faulty.

> Tux:/home/lisi# aptitude -f install

[snip]
> opera: Conflicts: opera-static but 9.24-20071015.1 is installed.
> opera-static: Conflicts: opera but 9.24-20071015.6 is to be installed.

This is probably the Opera repository being a bit broken. Try an
aptitude update first (or aptitude purge one of opera-static and
opera).

[snip]
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the realplayer package. This might mean
> you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
> Tux:/home/lisi#

This is slightly more peculiar, but is usually down to either a
full /var partition or another copy of aptitude, apt, synaptic, dpkg,
or similar tool running.

Most of the other things in that output weren't all that unusual,
although if you want to keep Firefox/Iceweasel, you'll probably have
to install it again, as it's being removed for some reason.

Hugo.

--- "No! My collection of rare, incurable diseases! Violated!" ---