Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached (SMB) Storage questions
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> My situation is practically identical to Alan's, except for:
>
> A samba share? Does the FAT32 format demand that samba be used? (Why, if
> the file system is accessible when the device is connected via USB or
> when using FTP?)

I think samba protocols probably have to be used (in the case of my
NAS unit) because it is the NAS unit which is serving the other
devices on my network (PCs) which are sometimes reading the data. Thus
the server which is internal in the NAS is key to making the data
available. or presumably it would be a write-(into)-only box. The NAS
unit only comes with facilities for smb server, ftp server, usb direct
connection. It does not have any NFS server facilities. It is sold to
be acting like a windows PC in this sense I guess. The process of
mounting presumably ensures correct protocol for subsequent use.

So samba has to be spoken for that reason. (?)

I have now discovered - that when mounting manually (in terminal
commands) the smbmount facility has to be used, and when adding the
entry into fstab, the file system is declared as smbfs

So far, as luck and many helpers have allowed, mine is working well!
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391