[Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [Tech] Software for burning DVDs
Hi all

As promised on another thread - here's the question:

Why should different CD/DVD burning programs have different results when
doing the same task?

Thus far, I've tried Nero (on XP), cdrecord, gnomebaker and k3b to burn a
Fedora DVD. Only k3b has worked. Given all programs have the option to
burn a DVD from an iso, I find it odd that some haven't worked (when
reporting success) and only k3b has. I would expect if a program can't
burn a CD, I should get an error message, not just a coaster (luckily for
me, I've been using DVD+RWs not DVD-Rs).

If it's not opening Pandora's box - how do programs such as these actually
"talk" to the drive?

Cheers
Rob