Re: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds
On Fri December 7 2007 22:50, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> OK - Christmas does seem to be the season of miracles. My new Virgin
> cable modem arrived today (as they said it would) and had all the necessary
> cables, splitters etc and was working inside 10 minutes. [Whether or not
> my Virgin bill is correct is anohter matter!!!]
>
> Now here's an oddity for you. Once in situe, at about 3pm today, I was
> getting 2.4Mbps. Having relocated the CM (the wife didn't like trailing
> cables and that's understandable), I'm currently getting 1.2Mbps.
>
> There's been a lot of talk on this list this week about speeds, but in the
> process of relocating the modem (and power cycling in the process), I've
> seen the speed halve. Could this be due to power cycling the modem - or
> is it more to do with net speeds will slow (even on cable) during the
> evenings as more folks are using it? I don't mind a deceleration in speed
> in peak hours but for it to fall by 50% - quite a drop.
>
> FWIW I'm connecting to ftp.mirrorservice.org (which I think is UK) to
> achieve the 1.2Mbps.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

I normally use this site for checking the speed of my cable connection

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

They always seem to be the most reliable.

If you still get the low speed after a another test then I would check the
cabling and maybe change it just in case you have a bad wire somewhere.

For the record I am on the vigin 4mb service and I am getting 3.7 down and 0.4
up.

Tim