Re: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds

Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> OK - Christmas does seem to be the season of miracles. My new Virgin
> cable modem arrived today (as they said it would) and had all the
> necessary cables, splitters etc and was working inside 10 minutes.
> [Whether or not my Virgin bill is correct is anohter matter!!!]
>
> Now here's an oddity for you. Once in situe, at about 3pm today, I
> was getting 2.4Mbps. Having relocated the CM (the wife didn't like
> trailing cables and that's understandable), I'm currently getting
> 1.2Mbps.

<SNIP>

Hi Rob,

When you power cycle the 'modem' it retrieves a DOCISS image from the
supplier. This contains the relevant configuration for your
connection. If the supplier changes your connection settings, it will
often not take effect until a 'modem' power cycle.

To see the speed you are actually connected to the NTL/VM network, look at:
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp (Maximum Downstream Data
Rate)
Also look at the 'event' section for an errors.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker