[Hampshire] More on broadband speeds

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] More on broadband speeds
Hi all

OK - Christmas does seem to be the season of miracles. My new Virgin cable
modem arrived today (as they said it would) and had all the necessary
cables, splitters etc and was working inside 10 minutes. [Whether or not
my Virgin bill is correct is anohter matter!!!]

Now here's an oddity for you. Once in situe, at about 3pm today, I was
getting 2.4Mbps. Having relocated the CM (the wife didn't like trailing
cables and that's understandable), I'm currently getting 1.2Mbps.

There's been a lot of talk on this list this week about speeds, but in the
process of relocating the modem (and power cycling in the process), I've
seen the speed halve. Could this be due to power cycling the modem - or is
it more to do with net speeds will slow (even on cable) during the evenings
as more folks are using it? I don't mind a deceleration in speed in peak
hours but for it to fall by 50% - quite a drop.

FWIW I'm connecting to ftp.mirrorservice.org (which I think is UK) to
achieve the 1.2Mbps.

Cheers
Rob