[Hampshire] Re: The start of the end...

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: The start of the end...
> From: Samuel Penn <sam@???>

> On Thursday 20 December 2007 16:25:38 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > I find demon.net very good. I don't know what there support is like
> > now, because the last time I had to use it was over 3 years ago, so I
> > would say it is a reliable service!!!
>
> Support has mostly moved to India. As a business user, I sometimes
> manage to get someone in the UK who actually know what they're talking
> about, but when I've had to use their Indian support desk it's been
> truly crap, and I've stopped recommending them to people because of
> this.

We had a similar experience earlier this year, but I have to say
that the Indian call centre fixed some router issues really
quickly (bizarre Belkin configuration). The big problem seems to
be their relationship with BT OpenReach. I think we had five
engineer visits before OpenReach actually fixed the line fault.
Clare the bookkeeper has become an expert at getting the
engineer charges removed from the bill! Tip: if OpenReach come,
get contact numbers from the engineer. OpenReach's attitude is
to close the fault immediately if they can't find the problem
straight away. You cannot initiate OpenReach, your ISP has to do
it. Net result is that you have to pester your ISP because
OpenReach has closed the fault. The engineers are mostly good,
but strangled by rules and management's desire to see good
closure figures.

We've been with Demon for ages (15-20 years), almost since they
started. Like all ISPs, they go through periods when demand
outstrips capacity. On a package value for money basis, they've
always been good and their terms and conditions are mostly
reasonable. During the nightmare, we looked at moving to Zen but
the overall package cost was significantly higher.

Basically, Demon are fine if you can look after yourself most of
the time. If you have a broadband (but not voice) problem with
your connection, your ISP's relationship with OpenReach is
crucial.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691