Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Time for a new distribution

>> > Hmm thinking about it for a bit maybe it would be a good idea to find
>> > distribution that is more standard linux like. What i mean is avoiding
>> > yast and
>> > other custom settings managers and using kde control centre instead.
>>
>> Indeed, this factor of (K)ubuntu is one of the things that attracts me
>> it. It doesn't need a lot of configuring, so it's an easy learning
>> curve,
>> but if you want to do lots of fiddling it leaves you to go about it your
>> own way.
>
> Doesnt the custom configuration program interfere with any fiddling
> outside of
> the custom manager? ie the setting conflict or one way fights against the
> other
> and changes the config when its next loaded up.

It depends on how the settings manager works. As I understand it (and I
may be wrong), YaST stores it's settings in it's own database before it
makes any changes to the actual configuration files, and behaves as you
described (e.g. if you were to edit a config file directly then load YaST,
it would return to the state it was when you last used YaST). Other
settings managers like KControl and Webmin read from and write to the
configuration files directly, making them faster, and meaning they wont
overwrite changes you make manually. I'm not sure how other distro
specific tools behave (such as Mandriva's control center).

Mark