Re: [Hampshire] [OT} Mud Huts

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT} Mud Huts
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:58:15 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

> Oh dear .. a hobby horse of mine I'm afraid...
>
> Things don't get much more off topic than this, so any responses
> should most probably be off list.

Dunno! it _is_ technology related in a way

> If you're curious about these technologies, Googling for
> "Earthship", "Earth Berm", "Passive Solar" and "straw bale house"
> will give more information than you'll likely cope with.

I didn't google on those terms but did find some superb pics of
modern cob houses. I hadn't realised that many are being left 'as
is', the ones I have actually visited were lime rendered/lime washed
the traditional white (this does depend on locality I know). The fact
that untreated exteriors are considered quite OK adds to my original
point that mud huts weren't soggy.

I have also seen several TV progs relating to use of straw bales for
building houses, both for insulating a timber frame and as a
construction material in its own right.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package