[Hampshire] Advice regarding Storage of PC/Electronics in Ga…

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Advice regarding Storage of PC/Electronics in Garage
Hello LUGites,

We're having a clearout and we want to put aside several PCs in the
garage. They are desktop sized. Ideally they would be in the house
somewhere but domestic harmony takes priority.
I want to take some sensible steps in storing them properly.

We also have a few components like network cards, hard discs and CDROM
drives which we're keeping in a couple large sealed plastic tubs in
which we've placed some silica gel packs.

With the PCs my idea was to:
- Wrap each in a sealed plastic bag to keep as airtight as possible,
with a silica gel pack in the bag
- Keep them towards the rear of the garage to reduce the exposure to
cold and moisture

A neighbour recommended "vacuum seal" bags because the air in the
plastic bags will still cause fungus/mould and whatnot to form.

Also when taking them out and into use the sensible advice would be to
let them reach room temperature and settle for a while (few
hours/overnight?) before turning on?

Just after some general storage advice, tips and any solutions that
folks may have.

Thanks