Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 at 01:19:55PM +0000, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > I looked at Jessops to see if they do a slide scanning service, but
> > it's pretty clear that at the price they charge I could easily spend
> > ???300-600 on my own slide scanner and still save money.
>
> Don't dismiss the time it'll take you to do it though. I find scanning
> my negatives with the workflow outlined below can take 15-20 minutes or
> so to produce a satisfactory output image. Obviously if I don't want to
> produce the image just archive the "digital negative" it's a lot less.

Hence my consideration of using a service.

> > Does anyone still make them?
> > Do any have good Linux SANE support?
> > Any recommended models?
>
> I have a Nikon CoolScan V. A scanner with hardware scratch and dust
> removal (using infrared) is a must for anything other than perfect
> negatives. I got mine from eBay and there are a variety of other models.
> The Nikon ones seem to be the most popular brand.

Nikon do seem popular, though apparently the CoolScan V isn't supported
by SANE.

> There is SANE support for some models (the SANE site has a list) but in
> order to make use of the advanced features of the scanners you need to
> use a more advanced piece of software. This means either running the
> bundled software under WINE or using VueScan. VueScan is proprietary but
> great and there's a native Linux version. I bought the professional
> version which allows saving of RAW files and calibration etc. The
> advantage of saving the RAW files is that you can go back and alter the
> amount of scratch removal and grain removal etc. afterwards, without
> rescanning the negative.

VueScan seems quite complete, and I don't mind paying for it if it
works well. It will even support my flat bed scanner, so I can see if
it will work before I even buy a fancy slide scanner. Looks like a new
Nikon CoolScan V is GBP442 from Amazon.

> > Can any one recommend a firm that can batch scan lots of slides?
>
> I investigated several about this time last year:
>
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2006/10/17/i-hate-to-be-negative-about-this/
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2007/01/05/not-so-positive-results/
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2007/01/06/db-images/
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2007/01/07/slidescan4ucouk/
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2007/01/09/pix-studio/
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/blog/2007/01/10/negative-scanning-conclusion/

Thanks, I knew someone had done all the reseach already...

> In the end though, I decided to buy a negative scanner and do it myself.
> I found the Rocky Nook book on the subject very helpful (they also do a
> great book on the GIMP). http://linkpot.net/clears/

Will have a look.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Deck of Cards: $1.29.
"101 Solitaire Variations" book: $6.59.
Cheap replacement for the one thing Windows is good at: priceless
    -- Shane Lazarus