Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Slide/neg scanning
Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> Hants,
>
> Over the break I scanned a few slides in with my flatbed scanner
> and slide attatchment. It was slow and laborious, and the quality
> from a flatbed is okay, but hardly up to that of a proper slide/neg
> scanner.
>
> I looked at Jessops to see if they do a slide scanning service, but
> it's pretty clear that at the price they charge I could easily spend
> �300-600 on my own slide scanner and still save money.
>
> Does anyone still make them?
> Do any have good Linux SANE support?
> Any recommended models?
>
> or
>
> Can any one recommend a firm that can batch scan lots of slides?
> As ever, thanks in advance.

We have a cheapo tevion - 4800x9600 on a windog box and a earlier
version 2400x3200 that you can play with under my desk.

Both come with neg heads but we have never tried either neg head.

I think I paid ~30ukp a few years ago for the scanner we use
and probably a similar amount for the earlier version.

Jacqui