Re: [Hampshire] Returning to FC8 X11 Problem

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Returning to FC8 X11 Problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Gibbins" <sean@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:09 PM

> Rob Malpass wrote:
>
> ---8<---snip--------
>>
>> Can I just check you mean substitiute vesa (or nv) for nvidia in both
>> the Driver and Identifier lines?
>
> Just the driver should do it for the time being Rob.
>
> A good habit is to make your own backup of the file, i.e. 'cp
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080102_1802' so that even if you
> do make a mistake you can always revert to the original config.
>
> Bear in mind that the section we were referring to appears to relate to
> the on-board graphics card.
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier  "nvidia GeForce 6100"
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Boardname   "nv"
> Busid       "PCI:0:13:0"
> Driver      "nvidia"
> Screen     0
> EndSection

> Sean
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 01/01/2008 12:09

Good news - I have X!!! I'd forgotten how much fiddling I'd done with my
xorg.conf - and once I copied a few sections from a default I found on the
web (and switched the monitor to the conventional VGA - it's come up!
Everything is huge (640x480) so I'll have to experiment a bit with why that
is (suspect it's the default monitor it's detected) but at least now I have
an xorg.conf I can use as a base.

Thanks very much indeed.

Now with 4 days of holiday left - wonder how much university work I'll get
done ;-]

Cheers
Rob