Re: [Hampshire] Meeting with John Denham

Author: Alan Bell
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Alan Lord
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Meeting with John Denham
that bloke would be me :-)

I am Alan Bell, together with my partner in crime Alan Lord we formed
The Open Learning Centre http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com We are
providing consultation and services around Free and Open Source software
to allow businesses to take advantage of all the great Free software out
there. We are both big believers in the power of community developed
software and other projects to transform all areas of business,
education and society, when the OLPC give one get one programme was
announced I set my alarm and ordered on the first day they were
available. My XO laptop is currently somewhere between USPS and
Parcelforce, I am not quite sure what kind of plane takes 3 weeks to
cross the Atlantic, but it certainly should be here by April.
I was hoping to demo my OLPC at the BETT educational show which is
happening this week from Wednesday 9th to Saturday 11th at Olympia.
Looks like it won't be here in time for that, but I have managed to get
in touch with a UK based contact from OLPC and he is going to lend us a
couple of laptops for the show.
If you want to see some of the little green laptops before the April
meeting, hopefully in a mesh and doing cool stuff, then you are most
welcome to come along to BETT and find us at the Open Forum Europe stand
SW105. We would really like to have as many Open Source enthusiasts as
possible attend the show and wander about chatting to people about why
Free software is good for Schools.

Alan.