Re: [Hampshire] Pandora.com is shutting up shop in the UK

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Pandora.com is shutting up shop in the UK
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:

> I know what you mean. One of my most favourite films/soundtracks is
> something I own only because someone made someone I know a copy,
> which I borrowed once. I liked it so much that I was bought the
> original DVD for Xmas - which I've watched many times already -
> even though it's not even in English!

On the back of a few copied CDs (and I do mean _few_), I've also bought
a fair number of CDs by the same artist/band/producer/label.

> As is often the case, the decent people get penalised because of a
> handful of "bad" people, who annoyingly aren't inconvenienced with
> the restrictions put in place to control them...!

Back in the days when one could buy a licence to "copy for own use", I
used to buy the licence to transcribe for the car cassette player,
parties and so on. They no longer sell that licence.

The whole on the "copying is piracy" business presumes that all copied
material would have been bought if an ilicit copy was not available. I'm
of the opinion that an awful lot of that stuff would not be bought at
full price, because an awful lot is not worth full price to the end
user. I have available to me an illicit copy of MS-Office. But I use
OpenOffice anyway, so I've never wanted to use it.

I also have some licenced software for which I can no longer find the
proof that they're licenced to me.

Ho Hum.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.