Re: [Hampshire] Samba for newbies

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba for newbies
Alastair Biggs wrote:

> Hi people
>
> I hope you can provide me with information regarding the delights of samba.
>
> Currently I have 2 machines at home one running XP and the other is running Debian Etch ( I use XP machine for gaming). Basically I wish to create a share on my Debian machine and be able to access it through my XP box currently I have installed samba on Etch and have assigned the computer a static I.P I kinda tried some experimentation last night and got as far as seeing my Debian machine in windows but for some strange reason I cannot log into it.

You might want to check that you have added a Samba user account and
password along with the usual Linux account. Look at 'man smbpasswd'
(and use of the -a switch if adding a new account).

Also check that your WinXP machine is using the same Workgroup name as
the Samba server. I believe the default in English versions of Windows
is "Workgroup".
In smb.conf , under [global], put:
workgroup = WORKGROUP

> I have read various documentation which is often confusing also there is the option of webmin but I wish to learn how to config Samba via the command line.
>

> If somebody could walk me through the process of setting up a share just for a standard user I would really appreciate it. Being relativley new to Linux this would be most helpful.

> Also another question if I wanted to share a drive in windows and access it from Linux how do I go about this? I'm guessing I once again have to use smb.

If you are using the Samba box itself then just access the directory
where the share resides. Otherwise use the smbclient tools from the
commandline, or if using a desktop try smb4k. I'm sure there are other
tools out there too.