Re: [Hampshire] Everex CloudBook

Author: Ottavio Caruso
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Everex CloudBook
On 1/13/08, John Cooper wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> >> It seems pretty likely assuming it actually gets to production that it
> >> will reach the UK, given the success of the Eee.
> >>
> >> Interesting set of design choices, real HD but still only a 7" screen,
> >> reputedly better battery life than the Eee though.
> >>
> >> Definitely be interesting to see what its really like once they are on
> >> sale here, and personally its nice to see a resurgence in machines this
> >> sort of size, but I don't think I'm in the market for another machine the
> >> same size as the Eee just yet...
> >>

> > Well, never mind. Everex recommends Windows Vista:
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.everex.com/products/products.htm+everex+recommends+windows&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1
> >
> > As per signature.
> >

> I wouldn't knock a supplier that is actually selling Linux PCs. M$
> probably insist that they "recommend" their software on their website as
> part of the partner programme.

Well, you wouldn't, I would. What should I be afraid of? I know how to
strip Windows off a box and install Linux on it. I don't need a
manufacturer to install Linux for me because I can't do it.

It's the principle: we/I should be careful not to upset them so they
won't sell Linux pc's in the future?

They are selling Pc's with Linux knowing that many customers will
strip Linux and install a pirated Windows. It's true and I know a
couple of people who declared they are going to install Linux on the
Asus EE for example.

Until people buy from companies that are foot and hand tied to
Microsoft, there'll be no immediate future for the Linux desktop, not
to mention ISP's that refuse to support Linux, labs that refuse to
repair pc's with Linux and so on.

Call me radical, but this is what I think and I act consequently.
--
Ottavio Caruso
http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista