Re: [Hampshire] Everex CloudBook

Author: Tim B (Systems)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Everex CloudBook
Just to pick up on a few points here...

> Well, you wouldn't, I would. What should I be afraid of? I know how to
> strip Windows off a box and install Linux on it. I don't need a
> manufacturer to install Linux for me because I can't do it.

Fair enough, but a few people might try it and like it, and that's good.
Others won't even realise it's not Windows. I don't see that's much of a
problem.

> Until people buy from companies that are foot and hand tied to
> Microsoft, there'll be no immediate future for the Linux desktop, not
> to mention ISP's that refuse to support Linux, labs that refuse to
> repair pc's with Linux and so on.

No, there's plenty of future for Linux on the desktop. We all use it don't we?
What we have is a marketing battle.

ISPs who refuse to support Linux are a bit more tricky. I personally see the
ISP as the people who supply broadband to my router. Therefore would they
support a Netgear DG whatever it is? I don't need my OS supported by them
thankyou. (And I've run MS Win95,98,2000,2003,XP,Vista;
Mandrake,Mandriva,Ubuntu,Debian; RiscOS systems connencted to the web without
hassle)

Can't comment on labs repairing PCs, I don't go anywhere near them, though I
have picked up PCs from scrap and re-conditioned them. I guess they don't
want to offer Linux repairs because they can't get good staff (lets face it,
wouldn't you rather be doing something better paid?).

Cheers All,

Tim B. (Still in Glasgow)