Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but …

Author: John Hunt
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Macbook Air (ok, it's not factory linux but you can install it)
> It's very interesting, and it's been slated on Slashdot already.
> No CD/DVD is fine, but no FireWire or Gig Ethernet and only one
> USB is a royal pain. Wireless only is trendy but slow and not
> always practical. Not that I'd refuse it if someone was giving
> them away...!

I'm no apple fan boy or anything (I only own that new ipod shuffle (clip
one)), but in my oppinion it seems people often miss the point of most
of the apple hardware. For the casual user, this is a *superb* bit of
kit by the looks of things.

This looks like more the kind of laptop you take on the train with you
rather than plugged into your network at home for transfering large
files. Especially with it's decent battery life. My IBM r50e on the
other hand is the kind of laptop you have stuck on your desk.

Features != how good a product is.

I know if I had one of those macbook air things, I'd certainly be sat on
the sofa with it on my lap!

I didn't particularly want to start a long discussion or anything, I
just think apple gets a bad rap often for no *real* reason (imo!)

--
John Hunt - johnrhunt@???
http://john-hunt.com/