Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop repla…

Author: Adam Trickett
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT: Hardware] Notebook as desktop replacment
On Sunday 20 Jan 2008, Stephen Davies wrote:
> Adam,
> I'm afraid that there are some possibly fatal conflicts in what your
> family member wants to do.
>
> In order to run Photoshop/Illustrator properly you need lots of screen
> real estate.

I agree, my feeling is that to use applications like this you need a large
screen and a decent resolution. To me that means a decent standalone monitor,
better than 20" and at least 1600x1400 res. I think the whole idea of doing
this on a notebook is silly, and even the big 17" units are compromised for
this kind of work. However my brother-in-law is a bit stubborn and insits
that he needs "portability" - though I don't know why.

If it were me I'd have a desktop box with a decent screen for my main work and
if I wanted something portable I wouldn't bother with a 17" leviathan
notebook...

I see from your and others comments that there are okay 17" notebooks out
there, but that they are not cheap (not his worry I think). To me, even if
you spend a lot of money, a notebook is still a compromised design for some
things and graphics is one of them...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

To send one out of office message may be considered
unfortunate, but to send two looks like cluelessness.
    -- Simon Cozens