[Hampshire] Software RAID arrays failing to assemble automat…

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Software RAID arrays failing to assemble automatically on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)
Hi,

I upgraded my home fileserver running Ubuntu Edgy to Ubuntu Feisty
yesterday. All well and came back up from a reboot OK.

I then upgraded it to Ubuntu Gusty (7.10) which went seemingly fine.
However on reboot I was dumped out at a recovery shell as /home had
failed to get mounted. /home is a software RAID 1 array. The recovery
shell showed that the array hadn't been assembled by the time that /home
was attempted to be mounted. Issuing the relevant mdadm assemble command
in the recovery shell then continuing the boot worked fine.

There is an init script at S25 in runlevel 2 (Debian/Ubuntu's default
runlevel) which starts mdadm, but AFAICT this only starts the mdadm
monitoring process, it isn't responsible for constructing any arrays etc.

I've searched around but whilst there are many guides to setting up
software RAID there doesn't seem to be a bug report which describes this
problem. What I need to make happen is to assemble the software RAID
array earlier in boot, i.e. before /home is mounted. The kernel running is:

Linux omega 2.6.22-14-386 #1 Tue Dec 18 07:34:24 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks,

Tony