Re: [Hampshire] current kernel on Sarge

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] current kernel on Sarge
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 at 12:40:15PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what kernel Sarge, last updated about 3 days ago, would be
> running?
>
> I have foolishly mucked up a new installation on hdb in my husband's box - and
> messed up Grub, so that I can't access the perfectly good sarge installation
> on hda as a protem solution to his box being usable. And because I can't
> access it, I can't just run uname -a. :-(

If it boots to grub okay, then you don't need to know the version of the
kernel as long as there is a kernel and a corresponding initrd on the disk.

Once GRUB has started you can manually build the start stanza, it even
supports a bash like tab-completetion editor. It's hard to describe in
an email, but if GRUB is working okay and there is a kernel and initrd
on a disk, you should be able to tab-complete the stanza, and get it to
boot.

My Sarge box is currently running like this:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-4-686
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-4-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-4-686
savedefault
boot

hd0,0 and hda1 are machine dependant, yours may vary.

HTH

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet