Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desk…

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> Occaisonally my Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Desktop PC will freeze for no
> apparant reason. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. What will
> normally happen is that the window/app I am working in will turn grey
> as if taking a long time to respond. During this time the Desktop will
> not accept any input from me and I can even see the system monitor
> graph freeze up in the taskbar.
>
> There is nothing obvious imprinted in /var/log at the times these
> happen. I suspect something low-level perhaps in the SATA HDD being
> faulty. I once fixed a Windows XP laptop which responded like treacle,
> that turned out to be a HDD needed replacement. The PC is an Asus
> Pundit machine that I somewhat unwisely bought from an eBay seller
> outside the normal eBay channels, to my custom spec. It arrived with a
> signs of use despite the seller claiming brand-new.
>
> The lshw can be found here: http://pastebin.com/m250b9ef6

I'm having similar issues on a dual-core pentium system with 2Gb ram and
3 Sata disks. I think I've narrowed it down to Firefox, or one of its
extensions. The only remedy to the freeze is to reset/reboot. It never
happens unless I'm running Firefox - is this the case for you also? If
so, which FF extensions are installed?

jfk