Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desk…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
Alan Pope wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:46:29PM +0000, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>
>> Occaisonally my Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Desktop PC will freeze for no
>> apparant reason. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. What will
>> normally happen is that the window/app I am working in will turn grey
>> as if taking a long time to respond. During this time the Desktop will
>> not accept any input from me and I can even see the system monitor
>> graph freeze up in the taskbar.
>>

> Window going grey says to me you're running compiz, and thus are using a
> funky 3d driver. Maybe disable compiz first. Then if it still happens switch
> video driver?

Ah, that all ties in with our machines too - since I think compiz is
running on all of them (I believe it is installed by default with Gutsy)
and we use proprietary drivers throughout.

Thinking about it some more, it tends to occur more with Caroline's
Celeron laptop (slower CPU, less RAM, low-end graphics card) than it
does with any of the dual-core machines, which would possibly lend
itself to performance issues.

Sean