Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desk…

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 08:59:53AM +0000, Jack Knight wrote:
> Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> >Occaisonally my Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Desktop PC will freeze for no
> >apparant reason. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. What will
> >normally happen is that the window/app I am working in will turn grey
> >as if taking a long time to respond. During this time the Desktop will
> >not accept any input from me and I can even see the system monitor
> >graph freeze up in the taskbar.
> >
> I'm having similar issues on a dual-core pentium system with 2Gb ram and
> 3 Sata disks. I think I've narrowed it down to Firefox, or one of its
> extensions. The only remedy to the freeze is to reset/reboot. It never
> happens unless I'm running Firefox - is this the case for you also? If
> so, which FF extensions are installed?

I've known a FF extension cause the nvidia driver in Debian to segfault,
so for a while I used the open source nv driver which had no such problem.

Can you still get into the box with SSH/from the console, or is it truly
frozen?

I'd say your best bet is to turn eye candy and such off, and see if everything
is okay, and turn thing back on one at a time until you find the culprit.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice.
    -- Richard Bos's corollary