Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desk…

Author: Jack Knight
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop
Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 08:59:53AM +0000, Jack Knight wrote:
>
>> Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>>
>>> Occaisonally my Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Desktop PC will freeze for no
>>> apparant reason. There does not seem to be a pattern to it. What will
>>> normally happen is that the window/app I am working in will turn grey
>>> as if taking a long time to respond. During this time the Desktop will
>>> not accept any input from me and I can even see the system monitor
>>> graph freeze up in the taskbar.
>>>

>> I'm having similar issues on a dual-core pentium system with 2Gb ram and
>> 3 Sata disks. I think I've narrowed it down to Firefox, or one of its
>> extensions. The only remedy to the freeze is to reset/reboot. It never
>> happens unless I'm running Firefox - is this the case for you also? If
>> so, which FF extensions are installed?
>>

> I've known a FF extension cause the nvidia driver in Debian to segfault,
> so for a while I used the open source nv driver which had no such problem.
>
> Can you still get into the box with SSH/from the console, or is it truly
> frozen?

Hard freeze, not even a ping let alone ssh. Yes, it's nvidia with prop.
drivers as I have dual screen twinview with Compiz-fusion and I don't
want to lose it by using the open source drivers. Any idea which extension?
> I'd say your best bet is to turn eye candy and such off, and see if everything
> is okay, and turn thing back on one at a time until you find the culprit.

I'll start by removing all FF extensions as you suggest then add one at
a time. I've also noticed a problem with flash movies in that it starts
downloading/playing them with mplayer-plug-in but this hangs at random
intervals. Playing them in an external viewer is fine. I need to remove
that also.